This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my Disclosure Policy here.
This recipe is one of my sanity savers (no…really). Two things I have to explain first:
- I live in a house with all boys (my husband + three sons)
- They all are extremely sensitive to certain foods.
And by “certain foods” I mean what (some days) feels like nearly everything.
It’s been a process figuring out what they can safely eat. And we certainly haven’t arrived at figuring it all out. Just last week they all had a reaction to something we ate.
For this chocolate, pasta, cheese, bread, and everything-else-good-in-the-world loving girl, it’s been quite an adjustment! (Remind me to tell you about the time I cried over a mini loaf of sourdough bread.) While I have no problems eating these foods, I have to avoid them when I’m nursing. Though I’m so thankful I can nurse my babies, I do have a mini-party when I’m done where I eat lots of Costco pizza.
But even when I’m not nursing, it can be dangerous to even have some of these yummy things in the house.
So what’s a girl to do?
I have some easy recipes I can whip together to help me cope, and that are even safe enough to share (if i have to…). This particular one my sister-in-law helped inspire when I was nursing my second kiddo, and I’ve modified it over the past couple years.
Here’s my chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie recipe:
- ⅔ frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder. We love this brand: Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 Tablespoons coconut sugar. I use Nutiva Organic Sugar *Note: I like my chocolate bitter. You may want to add more coconut sugar if you like sweeter chocolate.
- 2 heaping spoonfuls peanut butter or 4 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Water – Start with a little and add more as needed to make the right consistency. This can be replaced with something like coconut milk for extra flavor.
Start with your ice cubes and frozen banana.
Then add your coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
Top it off with some coconut oil and then add water.
Blend it up and enjoy!
I use my Ninja blender. This thing is great. I’ve been using mine every day (usually multiple times per day) for the last several years and it’s still going strong!
Pour it into your favorite cup and enjoy. Or be really smart and use one of those insulated mugs that actually keep your drinks cold. Because you know you’re going to get interrupted twenty times while you’re trying to drink this thing.
Do you have some go-to treats for yourself?